Want to help edit Wikiwrimo? It's easy. Click the Create Account button to get started.
Region/USA/UT/Salt Lake County
The USA :: Utah :: Salt Lake County region has been around since at least 2002, the first year that regions were presented with forums on the NaNoWriMo site. Originally, it was just the "Utah" region, but the first ML for the state was in Salt Lake City, focusing attention and events there. By 2005, the state was split up, creating the SLC region.
As of 2018, SLC has had eight different Municipal Liaisons, mostly working in pairs: Beth, Chris, Banai, Kaitlyn, Ike, Mona, Cassidy, and S.J. Each ML, except for the first, joined as a co-ML. Only Beth and Banai have held the position as soloists. Ike was the first ML-in-training for the region. And 2013 was the first year to feature a trio of MLs, with 2018 as the second year of an ML trio.
In 2008, the region voted and adopted the name the Rocky Mountain WriMoose. Chocolate and Fred, two stuffed moose cared for by the MLs, became the mascots. They attended most events. Tasty joined them in 2014, Moose-ster at the end of 2015, and Cinnamon at the start of 2017.
In 2012, the Salt Lake City region was renamed to Salt Lake County, to better describe the region's actual coverage. The SLC region also welcomes nearby participants from Davis and Summit Counties, and other neighboring areas, who would technically be in the Elsewhere region.
- Our traditional Kick-Off location of The Pie began under Beth's reign as ML. 2012 was the first year where we overfilled the patio. The Pie has served us for Kick-Offs and sometimes TGIOs and Half-Way Parties over the years.
- Saturday write-ins at the City Library were initiated by Chris in 2006 and ended in 2014.
- Our Facebook page was created in October 2010, replacing an earlier group, which was created during forum downtime (probably the previous year).
- We found our TGIO location, Legends Sports Grill, in 2011, and continued there until 2016.
- Friday and Saturday Write-Ins at the cafes of Harmon's at Bangerter Crossing and City Creek both began in 2013.
- We began having our Last Chance Write-In at Village Inn in 2012, first on 400 South, then moving to Redwood Road in 2015 after Hunter Library Write-Ins.
- Hunter Library joined as a Come Write In location in 2014, beginning our new affiliation with the Salt Lake County Library system.
- Our Half-Way Party at The Pie began in 2014 with a convenient CWI write-in scheduling from South Jordan Library. 2017 moved to The Pie in Midvale to follow the Whitmore Library Write-In.
- We finally found a new home for our Kick-Off party at Kafeneio Coffeehouse in South Salt Lake beginning in 2015.
|Year||Winners||Members||Homed||Active||w/Word Count||Collective Words||Time to 50k||Time to 1 Million||Remarks|
|2008||500*||* before November|
|2012||2600+*||714||18 million||* before November|
|2013||239||1027*||20.6 million||1:38am, Nov 1||just before midnight, Nov 1||* 415 Active on Oct 31|
|2014||275*||5761||4803||976||781||20.5 million||1:38am, Nov 1 (~500 Active)||by midnight, Nov 1 (650 Active)||* 263 Validated|
|2015||270*||6490||5513||1067||847||21.6 million||by 1:34am, Nov 1 (551 Active)||11:23pm, Nov 1 (746 Active)||* 257 Validated|
|2016||233*||7205||6196||1030||804||19.2 million||~3:45am, Nov 1 (579 Active)||around midnight, Nov 1 (700-ish Active)||* 225 Validated|
|2017||274*||7874||6845||1058||908||20.6 million||2:04am, Nov 1 (578 Active)||before 10:55pm, Nov 1 (804 Active)||* 228 Validated|
- 2014 statistics here originally stated 962 active homed, 771 with word count, 266 winners. New numbers come from the regional CSV provided to MLs.
- 2015 statistics here originally stated 1073 active homed, 848 with word count, 272 winners. New numbers come from the regional CSV provided to MLs.
- 2017 began the month with 7616 members and 6598 homed on November 1.
- 2018: 981 novelists; 19,623,861 words written; 20,003 average wordcount