Want to help edit Wikiwrimo? It's easy. Click the Create Account button to get started.
Flashback Fundraising Drive
The Flashback Fundraising Drive is the summer 2018 fundraiser for National Novel Writing Month (nonprofit). It took place from July 9-16, 2018, and was announced via NaNoMail and email on July 8. This fundraiser focused on remembering NaNoWriMo's past, while raising the funds to make NaNoWriMo's future even brighter to more participants.
Fundraising levels and donor goodies were kept simple; Wrimos donating $25 received six vintage NaNoWriMo stickers from past events. The sticker selection was random. Wrimos donating during the weekend of July 14-15 also received a button inspired by the NaNoWriMo 2007 design (Time to Write). Wrimos could also donate multiples of $25 to receive multiple sticker packs.
#NaNoFlashback was the official hashtag used to discuss the fundraiser, as well as to share past NaNoWriMo memories--personal or related to the greater NaNoWriMo site and community. The NaNoWriMo staff also sent regular emails throughout the fundraiser, showcasing major happenings in NaNoWriMo's history.
Wrimos raised $18,000 for the fundraiser in a week, 20% more than the original $15,000 goal.
NaNo HQ emails sent during the fundraiser
- Introducing the fundraiser, sent July 8
- 1999: the email from Chris Baty that started it all, sent July 9
- Reaching 5000 participants by 2001, featuring the East Bay Express article chronicling the month. Sent July 10.
- The official Young Writers Program premiere in 2005, sent July 11.
- The nerdy big time, or the time when NaNoWriMo was a New York Times crossword puzzle clue in 2006. Sent July 12.
- The first non-staff pep talks in 2007, including one from Neil Gaiman. Sent July 13.
- The beginning of Camp NaNoWriMo in 2011. Sent July 16.