Want to help edit Wikiwrimo? It's easy. Click the Create Account button to get started.
Reverse NaNo (originally known as the Reward System) is an approach to NaNoWriMo that encourages higher goals in the beginning of the month, with the daily quota lowering slightly every day throughout the month until left with a single word on the last day. This approach takes advantage of starting out strong and losing the will or time to write as the month goes on.
In early October 2010, txteclipse created a thread in the Reaching 50,000 forum titled "The Reward System! One Word on Day 30!". This thread featured a different approach to NaNoWriMo than writing the standard 1667 words every day:
If you're like me, you start out strong when writing a new story but immediately begin slacking as ideas cease to flow and the concrete past constricts the once-fluid future. Therefore, I developed a NaNo writing technique to accommodate this writing style! Each day, you write a few less words than the day before, until finally ending with only a single word on day 30! Here's the breakdown:
- Day 1: 3346 (It's day one! Hell yeah, go for it!)
- Day 2: 3216
- Day 3: 3101
- Day 4: 2986
- Day 5: 2872
- Day 6: 2757
- Day 7: 2642
- Day 8: 2527 (This is the hard part. Week one is out of the way, but you've still got some painful quotas left. Just do it!)
- Day 9: 2412
- Day 10: 2298
- Day 11: 2183
- Day 12: 2068
- Day 13: 1953 (Almost there...)
- Day 14: 1838 (Almost there......)
- Day 15: 1724 (Halfway point! After this, you'll be writing less every day than everyone else!)
- Day 16: 1609
- Day 17: 1494
- Day 18: 1379
- Day 19: 1264
- Day 20: 1150
- Day 21: 1035 (Less than a thousand words a day after this!)
- Day 22: 920
- Day 23: 805
- Day 24: 690
- Day 25: 576 (That's a single good Word War! Feel free to laugh at the people with over three times this quota today!)
- Day 26: 461
- Day 27: 346
- Day 28: 231
- Day 29: 116
- Day 30: 1 (Aww yeah! One word left! Make it a good one!)
Txteclipse credits fellow Wrimo an-chan for their assistance in creating this approach.
Upon its creation, several Wrimos suggested names for this system when it was originally posted, including the Eclipse Method (or the TxtEclipse Method, after its creator), the Downhill Method, and The Incredible Shrinking Daily Goal. Reverse NaNo (or Reverse NaNoWriMo) and Backwards NaNo have stuck the most.
Spreadsheets and word count calendars have also been created using these word count goals.
Someone reposts this approach to the NaNoWriMo forums each year, often a different Wrimo each year.